Monday, July 29, 2013

NCCAT



This past week I was able to go to NCCAT (North Carolina Center for Advancement of Teaching). This seminar was titled, "Is DNA your Destiny?" I had an excellent time and learned many new things that I will bring back to my classroom. I went to NCCAT last year for the beginning teacher's seminar and met amazing people that I still brainstorm with and keep in touch with. My favorite thing about NCCAT is that I everyone is treated like a professional that we all are in teaching for the same reason: the students. I feel safer there than I do in my own school to be creative and innovative and to ask question of people who actually work in the field. This past week we had a cell biology professor from ECU as one of our guest fellows and she was wonderfully informative. I feel like if teaching wasn't my calling that cell biology could be a potential love of mine. I feel like I deepened my knowledge base of genetics and was able to present my pedigree on my mutation which I always love getting the word out there and quite frankly my pedigree is pretty interesting. NCCAT is such a wonderful place to go as an educator; every time I go there it renews me. I have met many people that don't know if they want to continue in this profession and then they go to NCCAT and they continue in the field because of the way they are treated. Bottom line: NCCAT is amazing if you are a teacher, go!


Building a double helix.


Growing E. Coli cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment