Monday, July 29, 2013

Thrifting and new finds...



"Books may well be the only true magic." -Alice Huffman

This past weekend, I went thrifting for the first time ever and I scored some really awesome finds. I bought all books. I would have loved to pick up more but I feel like books are such a better investment. We started at Goodwill in Morrisville and I found:

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis (I own the movie and thought it might be a great read)
Everyone worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger (She wrote the Devil Wears Prada which I read quite a few years ago and loved it!)
He's Just Not Into You by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo (I also have this movie and my friend Beth says this is a must read)
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (I lent this book to a friend almost two years ago and miss having a copy) 

At the goodwill store, Dave and Phil decided it would be a genius idea to throw a thrift store themed party where all of the guests have to purchase their clothes at a thrift store. Dave and Phil had two great outfits of paisley working and Phil found me the most hideous pants I have ever seen. Even other shoppers thought they were hilariously hideous. :)

The second stop was Dorcas Mission store. Their books were 75 cents for hardcover! Yay! I bought:

The Five People you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (Tuesdays with Morrie was a wonderful book and I have heard great things about this book)
I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson (Just picked it up; no particular reason)
The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold (I have never seen this movie but it is on my list and I always love to read a book before a movie)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (A classic!)
My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler (this will probably be my first read; she is hilarious)

I also picked up a copy of Fight Club which I have always loved. I bought my brother a copy a few years ago and have wanted to buy it ever since.

The last stop was at an antique store near Dave's house in Raleigh. This had lots of cute finds and I almost was in tears with the beautiful collection of Nancy Drew books; the exact same as what I read from the Waterboro Public Library when I was a kid. These books were slightly more expensive but in excellent condition. I purchased:

Babar by Jean de Brunhoff (I watched Babar almost every day when I was a child)
Nancy Drew: The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene (the first book in the series)
Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (This sounded really interesting especially with all of the difficulties facing teachers nowadays)

All in all a successful day! Definitely an interesting way to spend a Saturday. I really enjoyed just looking at all the things people have no need for anymore. I would definitely go again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment