Sunday, February 9, 2014

Book #5: The Reason I Jump


If I never accomplish my goal of reading 50 books this year or even if I do this will be one of my favorite reasons I chose this goal. This book blew my mind. It was written by a 13 year old boy who has autism who is nonverbal. In it he details his daily struggles, his dreams, his writing skills which are translated letter by letter by a teacher. This book was worth every minute not because I work with children who have autism but because my perception of children with autism has depeened. I used to work with a nonverbal student who I always knew was brighter than people had claimed she was and this book reaffirms what happens when we place judgments or biases on people regarding their IQ score or their communication level... Sometimes we are severely mistaken.... And, I am very grateful for that. 

Definitely worth a read even if you know no one with autism it will enlighten you.

No comments:

Post a Comment