Monday, September 2, 2013

First time for everything: Hot Yoga

On Saturday, I tried hot yoga for the first time. I was a little nervous but once I got there (Arrichion) the staff was extremely friendly and supportive! They showed me around the studio and told me to bring a towel, water bottle and mat in with me. I had done yoga before but only regularly in college. I have always loved the concept of yoga though because it is extremely relaxing yet you build a lot of strength from the repetition of the movements. 

I picked a central location in the room and lined up my mat. The instructor came in and did a short breathing exercise through nose and out through our mouth. But, for the rest of the class we were told to breathe only through our nose until the end. The first thing I noticed besides that it was incredibly hot in the room was how you really were forced to slow down your breath because of the hot air. 

We spent about half of the class doing standing poses. Only 60 seconds of "cardio" yoga which I had never heard before and the rest of the class doing poses on the mat. Of course I liked the floor work best because it was easier to access my towel. 

We were doing a pose bending over at the waist and when my head would tilt down sweat just ran straight down my face. I was slightly self conscious until I noticed that other people had lots of drip marks on their mats. After we were down I felt great minus a slight headache because I hadn't drank enough water the day before. But, once I drank some water I felt amazing! I was going to go to class yesterday but I was still sore and didn't want to push myself too much. I would have gone today but I had plans to walk with Beth. The instructor said that the best thing to do on the first class is to just stay in the room and I am very proud of myself that I only needed to go into child's pose once to relax from the heat. 

I am looking forward to going again. If you have an interest in trying I would certainly suggest it and if you are local to Raleigh and want to try I would be glad to go with you!

Here's a sweaty after picture of me: 





No comments:

Post a Comment