Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Ramblin' Rose Triathalon 2013


Before the race started.




Lots of runnerpeeps


Running towards the gate.

A few months ago, Meredith posted on runnerpeeps a call for one swimmer and a biker to do a relay team for the Ramblin' Rose Triathlon. I leaped at the opportunity for the swim portion and Michelle decided to take a stab at biking. So, we signed up as the Peepettes.

I seem to have a reoccurring condition where I get excited about races then don't train for them.... I don't know what it is called but I am a professional at it so it may just be named after me someday. For this race... I didn't even get into the pool at all. Like at all for months I didn't swim....

The day before the race Phil and I went to pick up my packet and I had to rank my swimming ability from 1 to 10 with 10 being extremely fast: 250 yards under 3 minutes. Because I hadn't trained I picked 5 and still have the outline of it in permanent marker on my hand.

The day of the race, I could barely sleep so I woke up early and made my way over to the event location. They told me to be there at 6:00 and I made it by 6:30 and had plenty of time since I was only competing in one event. I found Meredith and Michelle and we took some team photos, listened to instructions and the national anthem then the 10's began as well as the wait.

Looking at the long line of swimmers was daunting. I knew that I was a strong swimmer but knew with my lack of training that this could be difficult. I finally got into swim and thought I was at the end... oh no. This thing was like a Disney ride long line inside as well. So, after about 20 minutes... I finally made it into the pool and immediately needed to pass people at every lap. I felt great. Definitely, would love to train more so that I could have been a 9 but felt really good about being significantly faster than I had thought.

When I finished, I ran outside and found the ladies cheering me on and without a thought Michelle was off on the bike. I knew I had some time so that I could change so I took the opportunity to get into some warm clothes. Meredith and I spoke to the other relay teams which was nice to see how everyone knew everybody and cheer every one on.

Before I knew it, Michelle was in and I was struggling to get the timing chip off and onto Meredith and then she was off. Michelle caught her breath and we walked up to get some water before Meredith came in. When we saw her coming in through the path we all ran through the gate together to finish the race.

Phil was so nice and took so many photos for us... Big shout out to him. :)

We all ate lunch together at Brixx and were planning our next adventure: Richmond Half. Can't wait!

Definitely will think about doing this by myself next year.... or maybe getting someone to ride a bike. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment