Monday, January 13, 2014

Online Dating: Pros, Cons...



Most of my friends know I was a huge user/believer in online dating. All three of my long term relationships came from online dating and hopefully my current one is a keeper. :) I thought it might be helpful to share my experiences with online dating and list the pros and cons of the ones that I have used in the past. Online dating to me is a lot easier than meeting in a bar or meeting through friends especially when your friends are all married. 

Eharmony

PROS:

Eharmony allows you to go through a process before you get to email someone. They also ask you to take an assessment to match people based on their personality. When you finally go on a date off of eharmony you feel like you know that person a lot more because they ask you questions: like what are some of the things you must have in a relationship or can't stand. Every date I went on with eharmony which was a quite a few I felt like I had something in common with the person I want on a date with.

CONS:

It is typically more expensive than any other dating website but in my opinion you get what you pay for. I have heard of horror stories of people meeting off of free websites and it never seems to turn out to well. 

Match

PROS:

With match you have a lot of choice. You can look up people and do customized searches which you cannot do with Eharmony because they match people for you. You can also IM people right away instead of sending emails back in forth.

CONS:

There were too many choices. There were so many people to choose from I felt overwhelmed. It also didn't do a great job refining my age limits so I had people who were well above my age emailing me which made me feel quite uncomfortable. For the people I went on dates with there was only one person I felt compatible with and the rest they either didn't look anything like their picture or they just weren't what I would have wanted for myself.

Remember to be safe and never reveal any personal information about yourself and meet in a public area. I thankfully never had any issues but I always followed those two rules. 

Best of luck in your search and let me know which sites have worked for you! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment